The process is estimated to be complete by June 2012. Then, it can be retracted for further process in Commission IX as a legislation priority. (When this time finally comes, I will do something crazy to celebrate. Just that I haven’t had an inspiration of what to do). I am also pleased with the letter of request from one of the Deputy Chiefs in Commission IX to Legislative Body, demanding Mental Health Law to be prioritized as soon as possible. No, I did not intimidate him or whatsoever. But I will use that letter of request pun intended.
So it was about mental health. Baby in progress. It hasn’t even been conceived yet. Once it is decided to be prioritized in the plenary, then it is officially conceived! If not, well, the fight will proceed.
My concern on mental health is just one of many other things that I am passionate about. I actually can’t differentiate between being passionate or displacement so I attach quite a great amount of energy (cathexis) on work. The following were some of my tasks between February-May 2012:
1. February 2-4: I was assigned by ICRC (the International Committee of the Red Cross-Geneva, Switzerland) to be one of ICRC’s advisors for the International Advisor Groups on Asia for the next three years. So our meeting in Bali was my very first assignment and I got the opportunity to meet with amazing humanitarian workers and some great minds from Asian countries.
2. February 6-8: I proposed a specific working visit to Commission IX’s Health Working Group to unshackle mentally ill patients and to observe the lack of National Mental Health System in Indonesia. (Menuju Indonesia Bebas Pasung 2014, Laporan Kunker “Indonesia Bebas Pasung 2014")
4. February 27-29: Nursing Law dialogue with local government and stakeholders. Bali has the first model for private practice and observing directly can “hopefully” resolve the grueling debate on the existence of private practice to be further regulated in the Nursing Law.
5. March 6-7: I proposed a specific working visit to Commission IX’s Health Working Group to observe the program on “IPWL/Instansi Penerima Wajib Lapor” (Report on Drug Addiction)
Memeriksa IPWL (Institusi Penerima Wajib Lapor) Pecandu Narkotika
Laporan Kunjungan Kerja Spesifik Komisi IX DPR-RI ke Provinsi Kepulauan Riau Terkait Pengawasan Program 'Wajib Lapor Pecandu Narkotika'
6. March 9-17: Invited by the Government of Japan in “The Young Political Leaders Invitational Program”
- Amnesia Bencana Alam
Noriyu dan Empat Kader Demokrat Diundang Pemerintah Jepang
Setahun Tsunami, Pemerintah Jepang Undang Politisi PD
Jepang Tengok Energi Geothermal
Indonesia Perlu Terapkan Kurikulum Siaga Bencana
7. March 19-30: Budgeting Committee marathon on the energy subsidy. Came home either at 1 am or 5 am. Good for adrenaline rush, but not good for the health as a result for being a passive smoker and lack of sleep.
8. Held and facilitated a Seminar on TOMCAT, Central Executive Board, Democratic Party.
9. SICK for several days (diarrhea, stomach flu, totally paralyzed by extreme exhaustion)
10. April 6-8: long weekend and came this crazy urge to meet my niece, Nabila Larasati, who’s been living in Singapore for 3 years now. She’s only 15 but she’s produced so many paintings. What we did was simply discussing her passion for painting and arts, sharing moleskin moment (to induce her writing sense as well), buying old movies like Gone With The Wind and Benhur, watching Broadway musical Wicked (strangely it was as good as we had expected it to be), discussing Spring Awakening and how Lea Michel’s nipple was showing on her stage performance in Broadway, buying the Hunger Games’ OST and some novels at Popular, and of course she was giving me this homework, to read Just Kids by Patti Smith. It was one brief visit to nourish my “dying” artistic self.
11. April 15-20: Democratic Party Course of Public Relations, Cipanas. Had to go back and forth, came down to Jakarta and did taping for BBM show on motorcycle gangs in Indosiar studio.
12. April 16: Commission IX’s Working Visit to RSJ Soeharto Herjan (formerly known as the stigmatized RSJ Grogol)
13. Eyes wide open on the 3 Indonesian migrant workers gunshot in Malaysia.
Noriyu: Pemerintah Wajib Kirim Nota Protes ke Malaysia
Anggota DPR: Kemlu Harus Waspadai Perbedaan Hasil Autopsi
TKI Ditembak, RI Harus Laporkan Malaysia ke PBB
Pemerintah RI Diharapkan Tegas Soal Tewasnya 3 TKI
Nova: Tewasnya 3 TKI di Malaysia Bisa Dibawa ke Peradilan Internasional
3 TKI Tewas, Indonesia Bisa Ngadu ke PBB
Hasil Otopsi Berbeda, RI Harus Gugat Malaysia
Indonesia-Malaysia Tak Perlu Putus Hubungan Diplomatik
‘Organ-trafficking’ case shouldn’t affect ties: Lawmaker
14. May 1-4: Ironic to be the one and only delegation from the House of Representative of the Republic of Indonesia to attend the “Asian & Pacific NGOs Call for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for Sustainable Development” in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, after all those opinions I gave to the media about Malaysia. Tun Musa Hitam, the former Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia who’s also the ICRC advisor like me, happened to be in London, so he sent his driver and very lovely lady, Leela, to pick me up.
Related Link: The One and Only Delegation from the House of Representative of the Republic of Indonesia to Attend the “Asian & Pacific NGOs Call for Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights for Sustainable Development” in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2012
Noriyu Wakili Indonesia dalam Konferensi Kesehatan Reproduksi (Foto berita Koran SINDO, 4 Mei 2012)
15. While I was joining the conference in Malaysia, I received the sad news on the lovely Minister of Health, bu Endang. See how time flies? Before you know it, your time is up.
Menkes Endang Terakhir Ikut Rapat di DPR Bulan Januari
Dirawat, Menteri Kesehatan Dalam Kondisi Baik
Ini Tanggapan Komisi IX DPR Soal Mundurnya Menkes Endang
Endang Tak Hanya Basa-basi
Nova Riyanti: Saya Kehilangan Sosok Cerdas Menkes
Nova Riyanti: Endang Sosok Menteri Cerdas dan Open Minded
Endang, Menkes Tercepat Merespons Masukan DPR
Sosok Menkes Abadi di Mata Anggota Komisi IX
Endang Tak Hanya Tampung Kritik tapi Juga Di implementasikan
Menteri Endang dan Kenangan Terakhir Noriyu
No matter how busy and dynamic you are with your career, always keep trying to do what you like best as a hobby. I am trying so hard to write in my spare time (mostly I fail to maintain the intensity of my mind because this body and brain seem to be drained from all the activities). Always make a quick dash to the movie just to have precious time with your family and other loved ones. Thank God I still got the chance to watch The Lady, The Raid, and 21 Jump Street. 3 movies squeezed in two days.
Also never forget to tuck in some of your favorite books in your bag. My booklist for May 2012:
1. Suzanne Collins: The Hunger Games ‘Catching Fire’
2. Doris Lessing: The Golden Notebook
3. Patti Smith: Just Kids
4. EL James: Fifty Shades Darker